Deep Fried Shrimp Balls (Bolinho de Camarão)
Divinely crisp and tasty, these shrimp balls can be said to be in the same family as the famous stuffed coxinhas… try to eat just one if you can!
In the Brazilian family of the salgadinhos, or the appetizers, these Bolinhos are made with the same crispy dough as the coxinha drumsticks then cleverly stuffed with cheese and shrimp.
When cooking shrimp just always be aware that if you cook them too long they will reduce in size dramatically and their texture will become rubbery. Only fry Bolinhos which are at room temperature: if they are frozen this will affect the taste, texture and presentation.
Recipe for Bolinhos with Shrimp
* 1 lb. (450 g) fresh shrimp
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 big onion
* 1 clove garlic
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup tomato sauce, sifted
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
* 3 cups whole milk
* 3 cups all-purpose white flour
* 2 cups boiling water
For the breading:
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* enough breadcrumbs
* Plenty fresh canola Oil for frying
* A deep fryer is recommended for safety while frying
1) We first need to prepare the shrimp: remove the shells and veins in the back of the shrimp. With a sharp knife, make a small cut in the shrimp back and with the help of a toothpick pull the vein (a dark line) out. Then wash the shrimp under running cold water and, if desired, and fry them in a pan with a drizzle of oil for 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve, wait for them to cool down and blend in a food processor. Reserve.
2) Second, we will prepare the dough: heat the butter in a saucepan and put in the finely chopped onion and squeezed garlic to brown. Do not let them burn, when fried add the tomato sauce and simmer a bit more. Then add the blended shrimp, the chopped cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix well and add the milk.
3) Bring to a boil and add the flour gradually stirring to form a thick dough: remove from the pan. Allow to cool down and shape small individual portions by rolling them in small balls.
4) Deep fry the bolinhos: beat the eggs with a fork in a bowl and mix with milk. In another bowl put the breadcrumbs.
5) Pass the shrimp balls first in the mixture with eggs and milk, then roll them in breadcrumbs.
Prepare your deep fryer with enough fresh oil and bing it to medium temperature. Lower the balls in the deep fryer carefully in the hot oil with the help of a slotted metal spoon to avoid burning yourself. You cannot place them in the deep fryer basket ahead of time, because the dough will wrap itself around the metal wire of the basket, thus making ugly balls.
They will be ready when they are nice and brown. Let them drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Serve while hot!