Rice with Beans and Chouriço (Arroz de Feijão com Chouriço)
This typically Brazilian dish is a simple dish that will please most, even easier to make than what may seem at first glance.
Just you follow step-by-step instructions below to create this comforting family dish… This dish is very common in Brazil, with or without the Chorizo. The Arroz de Feijão com Chouriço can be served as is, or to accompany some kind of meat such as steak, ribs, etc...
Rice Beans with Chouriço
* 2 cups pinto or red kidney beans
* 1 big onion, chopped
* 3 cloves of garlic
* 4 tablespoons (soup) of oil
* 2 ripe red tomatoes
* 2 chorizo sausages (brazilian style chouriço if available)
* 2 cups rice
1) Wash the dry beans, then make them soak in water a few hours before cooking them. After, cook them on the stove at low heat until tender; personnally for this I use a pressure cooker to cook my beans in less than half the time… Drain the beans but save three cups of the water they cooked in.
2) Meanwhile, fry the onion, chopped garlic cloves with olive oil. When the onion is translucent, add the chopped tomato flesh with the inside seeds removed.
3) Fry everything well then add the chorizo sausage slices and three cups of water you have used to cook the beans; bring to a boil.
When it boils, add the rice, season with salt and cover; simmer until the rice is tender.
Pour in a few tablespoons of chopped parsley with the beans and simmer uncovered a few minutes more.
Serve as-is, or with meat...