Cabbage is appreciated in many types of cuisines: it can be baked or fried,
made into sauerkraut: boiled in a pot; all these cooking methods will allow its sweet taste to overtake the bitterness of raw cabbage.
A good Repolho refogado seasoned and cooked to perfection (refogado means sautéed in portuguese) is truly a delight. Ideal to accompany your everyday meal, and spectacular enough for the special occasions. I know many people already know to prepare this recipe, but this one has a few special twists, and still others will see it for the first time: nothing better than learning a new healthy recipe that is refined, light and tasty.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Recipe for Repolho Roxo Refogado
* 4 lb. (2 kg) of red cabbage, sliced in juliennes
* 1 red onion, sliced into strips
* 2 green apples (Granny Smith type), cut into strips
* 1/4 cup peanut oil
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 3 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 cups orange juice
* 2 cups red wine
* Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350 °F(180 °C). Slice the cabbage in thin strips: clean the leaves, then stack them. Slice the cabbage leaves.
2) In a large pot, pour the peanut oil and heat it up. Sauté the onion until translucent purple. Sprinkle brown sugar and cook for a few minutes until it begins to caramelize.
3) Add the sliced apples and deglaze with the vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add the red wine and orange juice, cinnamon stick, ginger powder, salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
4) Put the red cabbage in, then fry for about 10 minutes. Cover the large pot with foil and bake in the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) for 45 minutes.
After this time, open the foil lid and taste the seasoning and adjust if deemed necessary.