A recipe from the state of Pernambuco. A trick so that the tomatoes can stand, is to level the bottom by slightly cutting it flat, being careful not to cut through the flesh which would let the filling seep out.
Yield: 4 servings
* 4 large ripe red tomatoes
* 1 tablespoon of oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 can of corn kernels
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
* 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
* 1 cup (200g) cream cheese
* 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs (1 per tomato)
* 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
* Soft butter for greasing the pan
1) Carefully cut a lid off the top part of each tomato, gently scoop out the seeds and let the tomatoes drain with their opening facing down for a few minutes.
2) In a saucepan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil then fry the chopped onion, corn kernels and herbs for 3 minutes. Lastly, add the cream cheese.
3) Let this mixture cool down. Meanwhile, arrange the tomatoes on a buttered pan so the tomatoes won’t stick. Spoon the mixture in the empty tomatoes, sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
4) Bake in the preheated oven at 350 ˚F (175 ˚C) or on the grill, until the top is golden brown. If desired, garnish with fresh basil leaves.