Greek style lamb
* 3 lb. boneless lamb shank without bone (1.5 kg)
* 2 onions
* 4 bay leaves
* 2 cloves garlic, pressed
* salt and black pepper
* 1 tablespoon sugar (15 g)
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste,
* 1 can tomatoes (340 g)
* 5 cups boiling water (1.2 liters)
* 1 lb. (450 g.) Orzo (or risoni) pasta
* 1 cup (150 g.) feta cheese
* Aluminum foil
1) Slice one onion in rings, and grate the other one down completely. Reserve. Place the lamb in a pan for the oven; season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic, the grated onion, bay leaf and let it stand for four hours, covered, in the refrigerator.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (175 ˚C); add the sliced onion and coat the meat with oil.
3) Put the pan in the oven, covered with foil, for 60 minutes or until meat is tender (depending on size and thickness of meat cut, could take up to 2 hours more). Remove the aluminum foil and leave for another 15 minutes or until the meat is nicely roasted.
4) In a pot bring enough water to a boil with a teaspoon of salt and add the orzo pasta. Cook it for three minutes, drain and add to the pan with the ram.
5) Add water, the tomato paste, some sugar and check the seasoning. Leave for a few minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Take out of the oven and let stand a few minutes, covered.
Just before serving, cut the meat into pieces and top with crumbled feta cheese.