Passionfruit Cake (Bolo de maracujà)
What could be more Brazilian, exotic and special than a cake, flavored with passion fruit??? Let’s prepare a passion fruit cake together, making this cake is a little bit more involved process, but it is quite worth the effort. If executed properly, this passion fruit cake is a truly spectacular dessert; exuding a tantalizing smell which fills the whole house.
The recipe for passionfruit cake
* 3 Eggs
* 2 Cups sugar
* 7 tablespoons (100 g.) butter, at room temperature
* 3/4 Cup of passion fruit juice concentrate
* 2 Cups of wheat flour
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 / 4 cup (tea) of concentrated passion fruit juice, dissolved in 1 cup (tea) of water and sweetened to taste.
* 1 Can of condensed milk (395 g)
* 3/4 Cup passion fruit juice concentrate (150 ml)
* 1 can serum cream (cream) (300 ml)
* 3 Clear beaten stiff
* 1 Gelatin envelope colorless powder
* 3/4 Cup sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 Egg whites
* passion fruit pulp with pits
1) For the cake dough: beat the egg whites and set aside, separately beat the egg yolks with the sugar and the butter. Add, stirring constantly, the passion fruit juice, the white flour and baking powder. Add the egg whites.
2) Pour the dough in a greased and floured cake mold of 8 1/2 in. (22 cm.) of diameter. Bake in preheated oven at 350 ˚F (175 °C) for 30 minutes or so, or until a toothpick comes out clean of the dough.
3) Now let’s make the filling: in a blender, combine the condensed milk, juice concentrate and pour in the cream and gelatin (previously dissolved in water according to package instructions). Pour in the egg whites and mix. Put this mixture in the refrigerator until firm.
4) When the cake is is baked, take it out of the oven then wait exactly 10 minutes, and then unmold the cake, cut it in halves with a big knife, and spread uniformly the filling.
5) Preparing the icing: pour the sugar and water in a saucepan. Heat this up, without stirring until this mixture becomes a syrup. Beat the egg whites, continue beating and add to the syrup which should be at thread stage of 220 ˚F (102 ˚C). Stir this preparation until Hard-Ball Stage or 250 ˚F (120 ˚C) is reached. Add the passion fruit pulp and pits and mix.
6) Ice the cake by pouring and spreading the icing we just did; that’s it, your passion fruit cake is ready!