The Collard Greens Salad with Mango and Onion (Salada de Couve com Manga e Cebola)
A salad can be seen as a pretty conservative thing: I mean, every casual home cook has his own favorite version of what a salad can be, and it very often involves some kind of lettuce, vinaigrette and some croutons: it just has to be there by convention. The good news is that this is one place where brazilian cuisine really comes to the rescue against this blandness… here is a refreshing salad made with collard greens and mango, nothing less!!!!
Yield: 2 servings
Recipe for Collard Greens Salad with Mango
Ingredients (serving for 2 people):
* 10 medium cabbage leaves
* 1 mango, diced into cubes, best if not too mature
* 1 red onion, diced
* 1/4 cup pine nuts
* vinegar to taste
* olive oil to taste
* salt to taste
* dried oregano, to taste
1) Carefully roast the pine nuts on a baking sheet in the oven, being careful not to burn them.
2) Wash thoroughly the cabbage leaves; next remove their stalks and cut out the tougher center stems from the big leaves. Stack the leaves, roll them like a cigar and slice very thinly in strips.
3) Put the collard leaves in a bowl and top with cold water. Wait 10 minutes then drain. This procedure is to eliminate the cabbage bitterness from the strips.
4) Add the mango, the pine nuts and the onion. Mix well and season with vinegar, salt, olive oil and oregano.