This rice balls recipe is perfect for casual cooks who like to make tasty food with a practical perspective. Sometimes we don’t want to throw away leftover rice; this is where this recipe comes to the rescue: it is a nice idea to make something with it.
This appetizer can be served as a side dish, snack or lunch; a great way to use up these left overs of already cooked rice, to which you can add a wide ranging selection of ingredients that will go well with these fried rice balls; ingredients such as chives, parsley, onions, boiled cassava, mashed potatoes and even leftover meat or chicken.
I suggest here in this procedure, to use a blender to create an homogenous dough: but this is entirely optional as many make this dish by mixing with their hands the rice and all ingredients without blending.
Yield: 20 Balls
Fried Rice Balls
* 2 cups cooked rice
* 1 cup of wheat flour
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 egg
* 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* Salt and pepper
* Fresh parsley
* 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
* Oil for frying
You will need a deep fryer to safely fry the balls
1) In a bowl, mix together the milk, the egg and the flour. Pour this mixture to the bowl of your blender, add the parmesan, the baking powder, the rice, salt and pepper.
2) Blend to turn this mixture in an homogeneous dough.
3) Pour everyhting back into the bowl, add the parsley and mix well.
4) With a big tablespoon, form the dough balls; fry them in hot oil until golden brown.
Place the fried balls on paper towels to remove the excess fat, and serve immediately.