Frango à Passarinho Fried Chicken
* 1 big chicken
* 1 cup of White Wine
* 6 cloves garlic
* 2 bay leaves, chopped
* 4 tablespoon lemon juice
* Half-cup flour
* 1 teaspoon Onion powder
* 5 tablespoons olive oil
* 5 tablespoons butter, melted
* ground black pepper
* Piri-Piri sauce
* Frying Oil, as needed
* 5-6 spears of chives, chopped
1) Clean and thoroughly wash the chicken and with a big and sharp knife, cut it down into small pieces at the joints,
skin left on but with as little bones as possible. If you like the liver and heart they could also be used.
2) In a bowl mix the chicken pieces with the white wine, the crushed garlic cloves, bay leaves, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and Piri-Piri sauce; marinate for one or two hours.
3) When you are ready to prepare this dish, setup one bowl with the melted butter and olive oil, then one bowl with the flour, onion powder and a pinch of salt. Pass each chicken piece first quickly in the oil bowl, then roll in the flour bowl to coat them well.
4) Using a deep fryer at 320 °F (160 °C), deep fry your pieces of chicken: it is better to do this in batches, a few pieces at a time, be careful not to burn the chicken.
5) As you are removing the chicken pieces from the oil, put them on paper towels, to remove the excess oil.
Sprinkle the the chives over the chicken pieces (I used green onions in the photo), serve with potatoes, white rice and a salad.