The Feijoada with Chicken (Feijoada branca com frango)
There are feijoadas for all tastes: from the classic Portuguese Transmontana to recipes with squid and shrimp; with cabbage - without cabbage, fatty or lean meat, with or without sausage, clams, cuttlefish .... And while we are here, why not try a feijoada recipe with chicken...
In addition to being equally tasty as other feijoadas, this dish is also lighter, and cumin will give it a pleasant aroma.
Yield: 6-7 servings
Making Feijoada with Chicken
* 3 boneless chicken breasts,
* 4 boneless chicken thighs
* 1 chouriço sausage, sliced
* 1 fresh chicken linguiça, sliced
* 1 large can of white beans
* 1 small can peeled tomatoes
* 2 carrots
* 1 onion
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1/2 cup (1 dl.) white wine
* 5 tablespoons of oil
* 1 pinch of cumin powder
* 2 bay leaves
* Chopped parsley
* Salt and pepper
1) Dice the boneless chicken breasts the thighs. Peel the onion, the garlic cloves and carrots, chop the onion and garlic and slice the carrots into rounds.
2) Pour some olive oil in a skillet, heat it up, add the chicken and fry it until browned. Add onion, garlic and carrots, mix, also add the chorizo cut into slices and bay leaf and cook until onion is transparent.
3) Add the chopped peeled tomatoes with the sauce and white wine, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
4) Add the white beans with sauce and cumin, stir and simmer another 10 minutes. One trick that always works with any feijoada: if the broth is too liquid, remove a bit of baked beans, mash them well then put them back in the feijoada.
Remove from heat and serve hot sprinkled with chopped parsley. Serve with white rice.