Homemade Feijoada Carioca
* 1 lb. uncooked black beans
* 1/2 lb. smoked bacon
* 1/2 lb. dried meat
* 1 lb. Smoked meat, cubed
* 1 lb. pork ribs
* 1/2 lb. smoked pork sausage
* 1/2 lb. portuguese style Chorizo (chouriço)
* 2 large onions, chopped
* 5 red tomatoes
* 3 cloves of garlic
* 1 cup rice
* black pepper and salt to taste
1) Prepare the meat for the feijoada: The beans and dried meat must be put to soak overnight, separately. The next day, drain the dried meat and reserve.
2) Prepare the feijoada beans: In a pot with cold water, place the beans over very low heat to a boil, cover and cook them for two hours, just as for the meat. Drain the beans, saving the water they cooked in.
3) In a large pot with a bit of water, put in together the the pork chops, the bacon, the sausages, the cubed smoked meat and the previously soaked beans and bring to a boil over high heat setting. Skim, reduce heat, cover and simmer for two hours at least.
4) Prepare the beans sauce: fry the finely chopped onions with the minced garlic until the onions turn translucent, add the tomatoes, seeded and chopped or grated, season to taste and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat setting.
5) When the sauce is ready, ladle some of the cooked beans and mash them with a fork, add the remaining water with a cup which has been cooked and taking the heat for 20 minutes without stirring. This whould be a thick broth.
6) Prepare the rice: Place in a saucepan two tablespoons of oil and a clove of garlic, add a cup of rice and saute a few minutes, stirring, then add two cups of boiling water, stir to prevent the rice from sticking and cook for 20 minutes over low heat.
Serve on a stylish brazilian plate, with on one side the meat with its beans, on the other side the rice, and cover everything with the sauce...