Chicken Stroganoff from Bahia (Estrogonofe de Frango Baiano)
There are many variants of Stroganoff or "Estrogonofe" recipes enjoyed in Brazil; basically these are inspired by the classic european beef Stroganoff so they point to some kind of meat or chicken with a tasty and rich sauce covering it. So here this recipe has a small touch from the state of Bahia with the inclusion of coconut milk in the ingredients, and to make this a real Brazilian presentation do not forget to serve your Estrogonofe with some homemade skinny fries (batata-palha)!.
* 2 lb. (950 g.) boneless chicken breasts or thighs
* 4 tablespoons Canola oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, pressed
* 1 tablespoon chicken broth bouillon powder
* 2 tablespoons brandy
* 4/5 cup (200 ml.) cream
* 1/2 cup coconut milk
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (to taste)
* sliced mushrooms to taste
* black pepper to taste
* White rice, ready to serve with your Stroganoff
* Skinny fries, or batata-palha
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1) Dice the chicken breasts or thighs and set aside, making sure you remove the unwanted fat.
2) In a skillet, heat up the oil and over high heat fry the sliced mushrooms. When they are fried lower heat setting and add the chopped onion and garlic with a little
salt (not too much salt as the chicken stock already has salt).
3) Fry until the onions are starting to brown, then mix in the diced chicken with black pepper and broth powder. Use medium-low heat setting while you cook the chicken; the chicken will cook in its own juice it creates.
4) Pour in the Brandy and let it evaporate as you are sauteeing the chicken. Put in the tomato paste and mix, add the Dijon mustard then pour in the cream, mix well and lastly add the coconut milk.
Serve with white rice and skinny fries, sprinkling the fresh cilantro leaves over the sauce.