Shrimp and Coconut Stew
* 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
* 1 bunch chives, chopped
* 3 and 1/2 lb. (1.58 kg.) raw medium sized shrimp
* 1 Malagueta pepper, sliced (optional - to your taste)
* 1 cup white wine vinegar
* 2 lemons
* 2 onions, thinly sliced
* 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, pressed
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 cups (750 ml.) coconut milk
* salt to taste
1) Clean and wash the shrimp, but do not peel them yet. Put in a pan and add salt and lemon juice.
2) Fry the shrimp without any water. When the shrimp have turned pink and have dried, remove them from the pan and peel them - do not discard the shells!
3) Using a blender, process the shrimp heads and shells to a paste adding 1 cup of water. Reserve.
4) Pour the coconut milk in a pan; add the garlic, the onions, the chives, the cilantro, tomatoes, sliced hot peppers, vinegar, olive oil and the reserved shrimp paste.
5) Mix well and bring to a boil; simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt.
6) Put the shrimp in, and cook for another 8 minutes, stirring constantly until we get a thick sauce.
Adjust salt and your Ensopado de Camarão is ready; serve with white rice. As you pour each bowls, decorate each serving with some sprinkled cilantro