Beans, a nutritive ingredient rich in protein and various minerals, particularily iron, can be a good part of any healthy diet; but that’s not all! They also are delicious to eat and can be prepared in so many ways, furthermore there is a wide variety of bean types.
Prepared this way, this side dish called Feijão Tropeiro gives us a quite hearty and tasty side to accompany a Picanha steak, these two together are a popular combination. And speaking of a hearty and sustaining dish, we can imagine why this dish was called drover's beans, from its humble beginnings. Today we will frequently see this dish at the June festivities (Festas Juninas) where these heartier dishes are served. You will also frequently see Feijão Tropeiro with cassava and potato chips. Here is the recipe you can try at home.
Yield: 8-12 servings
Making Feijão Tropeiro
* 1 lb. (1/2 kg.) of black beans, already cooked in chicken broth
* 1 lb. of bacon
* 8 eggs
* oil or lard, amount as necessary
* 4 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 medium onion, chopped into cubes
* Salt to taste
* Parsley to taste
* 2 tablespoons toasted manioc flour (or raw )
1) Chop the bacon (smoked bacon) in small pieces. Fry until they start to brown (10 minutes or less). Remove the bacon and set aside a bit of the melted fat to sauté the beans.
2) In the same skillet, leave a little of the hot fat and crack the eggs open. As they start to cook, break them up into chunks, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3) In another pan use the rest of the bacon fat, add the garlic , onion, salt and let it brown. Stir in the beans. At this time, mix in the bacon to flavor the beans. Saute well to get the taste. Adjust the seasoning .
4) Remove from heat and sprinkle in the flour and leave until moist. Stir gently, add the eggs and parsley. Serve with sausage, cabbage and rice.