Banana cake with streusel topping (Bolo Cuca de banana com farofa)
Imported by German immigrants from the Westphalia region: here is a family recipe for the banana Cuca, a cake that is well known in the whole southern Brazil region: it came straight out of Germany and was adapted with minor changes. This dessert from the Gaucho cuisine is almost as easy to make as it is delicious, basically this one starts with a regular cake style crust which is topped with bananas, finally to be covered with the streusel topping..
I just love this dessert, I learned about it a little while ago and since then I always get requests to make more... The naturally sweet taste of banana goes really well with the cinammon.
The recipe is very simple, the dough is fluffy the streusel covering is a delight. You can also substitute or add more fruits and create different flavors.
For those who like bananas, for sure they will love this dessert!
Making Cuca de Banana with Farofa
* 4 eggs
* 2 cups sugar
* 3 tablespoons of butter
* 2 cups general purpose white flour
* 1 cup of corn starch
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
* 1 pinch of salt
* 5 banana-nanica or regular bananas
* 6 tablespoons brown sugar
* 8 tablespoons wheat flour
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1) Preheat the oven to medium temperature to 350 ˚F (180 ° C)
2) in a big bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar: add the softened butter and whisk more. Add the flour, cornstarch and baking powder, then constantly whisking add the milk to the dough.
3) Separately, beat the egg whites with the salt.
Add them to the dough, stirring gently, no whisking. Pour the dough in a greased baking sheet.
4) Peel the bananas and slice them in halves lengthwise.
Arrange them neatly over the dough.
Making the topping
5) Mix all the topping ingredients until you get a crumbly mixture and spread it on the top layer with bananas.
Take the baking pan to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top has become dry and nice and golden brown