Coxinha de frango or gallinha (Chicken drumstick)
The Coxinha is a snack that is very well known in Brazil, sometimes served also in Portugal, based on dough made with wheat flour seasoned with chicken broth, which dough is then filled with spiced shredded chicken meat; lucky for us this appetizer is made with ingredients that are very easy to find...
The special filling of chicken that is cooked, shredded then mixed with cream cheese is usually a big hit...
This chicken appetizer is then shaped like a chicken drumstick, which you roll in breadcrumbs and deep fry in hot oil (we recommend to use a deep fryer for this).
Sometimes it is also done with the on-thigh, wrapped in the basic dough.
The brazilian coxinhas are sometimes served in cafeterias and many other places; and for parties as appetizers they are made with a smaller shape.
At this moment, in Brazil coxinhas are even sold in supermarkets and bakeries, for convenience you can also find semi-cooked coxinhas as well...
Coxinha de gallinha
· 1 cube of chicken stock
· 4 cups milk
· 1 tablespoons butter
· 4 cups of wheat flour
· Flour for powdering the work area
· 1 cube of vegetable broth
· 2 cups (tea) of boiling water
· 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs (about 500g)
· 2 tablespoons of oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, crushed
· Salt and pepper to taste
· Chopped parsley to taste
· 6 tablespoons of cream cheese
· 1 egg and breadcrumbs to coat the drumsticks
1) In a saucepan, dissolve the dry chicken broth tablet in milk and butter; heat up and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low setting, then gradually pour the flour in, sifted, and stir to unglue the bottom of the pan. Put on a floured surface. Let the dough cool down a bit and knead the dough until smooth. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2) Now for the stuffing, dissolve the vegetable broth in boiling water, add the chicken and cook until completely cooked. Let the chicken cool down and shred the meat.
3) In a saucepan, heat the oil, fry the onion and garlic and add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper if you want and leave for 3 minutes. Add the parsley and cream cheese. Let the stuffing cool and fill the Coxinhas. Pass the clear and breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
Alternatively, you can also place the Coxinhas on a greased baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until golden brown.