Fried Yuca (Mandioca frita)
There are a few tricks to fry cassava: we want them to remain dry and crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. As much as french fries are a favorite in North America, one of Brazil's most loved snacks is fried yuca (or cassava): the perfect side to many delicious dishes is also very easy to prepare...
Cassava fries recipe
* 2 and 1/2 lb. (1.13 kg) Manioc
* canola oil for frying
* salt to taste
1) With a sharp knife, peel the cassava; next cut the cassava into pieces 4 inches long. Then cut each piece in half lenghtwise, and each half in half again. Pass the pieces slightly under running water to clean them. Drain and set aside.
2) In a large pot, place the cassava, salt and cover with water. Bring to high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the cassava are tender. To check if they are ready, stick a few pieces with a fork. When they are soft, they are cooked.
3) Drain water from the cassava, with the help of a sieve and let them cool down.
4) Prepare the deep fryer, with enough canola oil to cover the cassava pieces, set them temperature to high setting.
5) When the oil is ready, put in the pieces of cassava and fry until they are slightly browned. Do not overcook them or they will become very hard.
6) Gently remove the fried cassava with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with paper towels.
Season with salt and serve...