The Pot roast from Minas Gerais (Carne de panela mineira)
Another nice example of the gastronomy of Minas Gerais: a nice Pot Roast recipe with a focus on making sure your meat gets an appealing color; the secret to reach this is in searing the beef cubes and how you time the cooking process.
Let’s examine a recipe for a pot roast that is as delicious as it will be appetizing with its enticing color!
The choice of the cut of beef that you will use for this dish is also very important; the following are recommended: chuck (fattier), round (leaner), neck or rump.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Marinate: 2 hourss
Pot Roast recipe
* 2.5 lb. (1.1 kg.) Beef, a cut for stewing
* 2 cups (500 ml.) Beef Bouillon
* 1/2 cup (125 ml.) Dijon Mustard
* 1/2 cup (125 ml.) Worcestershire sauce
* 4 big onions
* 4 potatoes
* 1 green pepper
* 2 red tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1) Slice the meat in cubes about 1 inch; discard the unwanted fat but make sure some fat is left on the meat
2) Mix the three sauces in a separate bowl, until smooth. Slice 2 onions into thin slices;
3) Put the pieces of meat with the chopped onion and the mixed sauces in a bowl and let it marinate for 2 hours;
4) In a hot open pressure cooker with a little oil, sear the pieces of meat on all sides; this is an important step.
5) After searing the meat, pour the sauce in, add the tomatoes then cover with water. Seal the pressure cooker and cook for about 30 min. after the pressure has built.
6) Cool down the pressure in the pot by putting it under tap water; open the pot and add the potatoes, bell pepper and the remaining two onions, sliced in big pieces. Seal again the pressure cooker and cook for about 5 minutes, after pressure has built.
7) Remove from the heat, cool down the cooker once more.
When preparing each individual plate, sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley over each serving.
Serve with white rice and egg farofa, some thinly sliced cabbage.