The Shrimp Soup with Coconut Milk (Caldo de camarão com leite de coco)
Here is a tasty Brazilian soup from the coastal region taking advantage of local ingredients such as coconut milk; it will be easy to make this comforting recipe outside Brazil as its ingredients are easy to find.
Recipe for the Shrimp Soup
* 1/2 lb. (250 g) medium sized shrimp, peeled
* 1/2 lb. (250 g) giant tiger prawns
* 2 cups coconut milk
* 3 tablespoons fish bouillon, dissolved in 5 cups water
* 4 tablespoons of oil
* 1 red bell pepper chopped
* salt and pepper to taste red
* 1 lb. (500 g.) red tomatoes, chopped
* 1 small bunch fresh parsley
* 2 garlic cloves, minced finely
* 1 onion, chopped
1) Pour the oil in a pan, heat it up and add the garlic, bell pepper and onion. Sauté until the onion is tender.
2) Put in the chopped bell pepper, season with salt. Sauté for 2 minutes and add the tomatoes. Fry for 3 more minutes.
3) Pour in the water with the fish bouillon and the smaller shrimp. Simmer for about 15 minutes, then remove from heat and blend in the blender.
4) Pour this mixture back in the pan and pour in the coconut milk, add the chopped fresh parsley and mix. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Adjust seasoning with salt, keep the soup warm.
6) Separately in another skillet, season the remaining tiger prawns and sauté in a little olive oil. When cooked, remove from heat: we are ready to serve.
Divide the cooked shrimp among the bowls you are about to serve, then pour hot soup over; decorate with some fresh parsley leaves.