The Brigadeiro chocolate cake (Bolo de brigadeiro)
A cake for the true chocolate cake lover, that just screams how amazing it will be by the way its presentation: it is worthy of being served for special occasions but it still is very easy to make, although the brigadeiro icing requires a little patience.
Recipe for the Brigadeiro cake
* 2 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
* 3/4 cup (185 ml.) canola oil
* 1 cup (250 ml.) cocoa
* 3/4 cup (185 ml.) hot water
* 2 cups all purpose white flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 3/4 cup cocoa liquor
* 1/3 cup (85 ml.) water
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 5 tablespoons cocoa
* 1 cup good quality chocolate sprinkles
1) Let’s begin with the dough: beat 2 cups sugar with the egg yolks, then add the oil, 3/4 cup of chocolate dissolved in warm water and finally the flour. Separately beat the egg whites until stiff.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (180 ˚C). Beat well the dough, preferably with a mixer, then add the beaten egg whites.
3) Mix gently and add the baking powder. Grease and flour the cake mold you will use and pour in the cake mixture. Bake in the oven until the cake is ready.
4) Now, let’s prepare the syrup: on a saucepan mix the cocoa liquor, some water and 3 tablespoons of sugar and bring to a boil. Let this preparation cool down.
5) After exactly 10 minutes out of the oven, unmold the cake and cut it in equal layers: I suggest making 3 layers. Gradually drizzle the syrup all over so the cake absorbs it all.
6) Now the Brigadeiro caramel topping: mix the condensed milk in a saucepan, with 5 tablespoons chocolate and the butter and simmer over medium-low heat setting until it has thickened, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon; be patient this will take some time (about 15 minutes). You know your Brigadeiro caramel is ready when you scrape one line across the bottom of your pan and the caramel sort of slowly fills back the gap, as opposed to a liquid quickly pouring back in.
7) Fill the inside layers of the cake with some caramel, put the cake together then ice the cake with the remaining caramel. Sprinkle the chocolate sprinkles all over.