The Brazilian Rice (Arroz à Brasileira)
When thinking about what would be a brazilian method to make rice as a side dish, there isn’t one obvious specific recipe that comes to mind; there are many ways to prepare rice that can all be ‘brazilian’. One thing is for sure, rice is extremely popular in Brazil as elsewhere, if not more… Here is a very good recipe, from Brazil, for rice that can deliciously add to most your dishes from this cuisine.
Recipe for Brazilian-style Rice
* 2.2 lb. (1 kg) of rice
* 1 chopped onion
* Salt to taste
* 10 tablespoons oil
* 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
1) Pour the olive oil in a pan, and sauté the onion, without browning it.
2) Pour the rice in (still without water), which should leave enough oil to be able to fry if you want the very loose rice, stirring constantly to avoid any sticking to the grains become transparent,
3) Spoon in the tomato paste, and mix. Pour some hot water in the rice, enough to cover all of it, season it with salt and bring to a boil.
4) After the water starts to boil, reduce heat setting, make sure there is enough water and close the lid of the pan and simmer;
5) Lastly, when almost ready, put the pan in the oven to finish cooking the rice.