Pato no Tucupi (Duck in Tucupi Sauce)
Pato no Tucupi is a traditional dish from Brazil. This dish is cooked mostly around the part of Belem and in the state of Para. The dish is cooked using a boiled duck and tucupi sauce. Circulo Militar, a restaurant in Belem city, is famous for their Pato no Tucupi recipe.
Making Brazilian Style Duck
* 1 big duck
* 5 cloves of garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper,
* 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
* 1/2 lb. of sliced bacon
* 3 small onions, peeled and chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 5 ripe tomatoes (optional)
* 1 cup (tea) of oil
* 1 bunch of jambu (or watercress)
* 1 cup of vinegar
* 4 cups (1 liter) of Tucupi Sauce
* 12 tablespoons of roasted cassava flour
method of preparation
1) Make sure that the duck and its insides are perfectly clean.
2) Pierce the skin of the duck slightly. Afterwards, rub in salt, bay leaf, freshly ground pepper, powdered cumin, vinegar and garlic. Leave the duck to marinate for at least five hours to let the flavors seep in.
3) After this, cover the duck with the bacon, place it carefully in the pan. On the top, arrange a pile of sliced onion and tomato.
4) Set the oven at a moderate temperature. Cook the duck for 20-30 minutes.
5) Remove the duck from the oven and cut it into small pieces. Set aside. In a saucepan, boil tucupi and garlic for about 10-15 minutes.
6) Toss all the duck parts into the sauce and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
Serve with cassava soup and gravy.