Meatballs are a worldwide sensation, this is not a secret: everybody likes meatballs! In Brazil as well, these are very popular appetizers: they are also sometimes called Almôndegas, and they are often served with a tomato sauce. Here is a simple recipe to make them, for your next special event!
Yield: 6-8 servings
Making brazilian-style meatballs
* 1 Panini style bread
* 1/2 cup of water
* 1 lb. (500 g) ground beef
* 1 small onion, chopped finely
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* Salt and black pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
* 1 egg, beaten
* Tomato sauce, to go with the meatballs
1) In a bowl, place the French bread and the water, making sure all sides are wet. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2) Squeeze the wet bread to remove excess water, crumble the bread into the bowl.
3) Mix in the ground beef, the onion, the garlic, salt, black pepper to taste, parsley and the egg. Mix until all the ingredients are combined to an uniform mixture.
4) Form the meatballs, about 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) in diameter, for which you can use a spoon to help shape each meatballs.
5) Fry in oil until well browned and thoroughly cooked. You can serve them on decorative toothpicks and with the tomato sauce nearby.