Basic Brigadeiros Treats (Brigadeiros simples)
This is the favorite of many children and could be the first choice for treats that are as easy to make as they are great. The "Brigadeiros" have become more and more popular in Brazil, and we are about to discover why...
In Brazil, a children's party without brigadeiro, is almost inconceivable... This treat seams to be the first to disappear from the candy table!
In fact, today there are many different ways to decorate them; and different names to call them: brigadeiros gourmet, Brigadeiros de coco, Brigadeiros de baunilha, Brigadeiros de café... and the possibilities seem endless!
In Brazil, there are specialized stores for them: the brigadeirias, and the prices there for them vary wildly.
Let's not fall to the temptation of buying factory made brigadeiros, so here is the very simple recipe for you to make them at home!
Making Brigadeiros at home
* 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1 tablespoon of sugar or corn syrup (optional)
* 1 pinch of salt
* chocolate sprinkles or anything else you had in mind to garnish them
1) Mix all the ingredients in a large saucepan.
2) Put on the stove and heat up at medium-low heat setting (this is important), stirring constantly and patiently with a wooden spoon, paying attention to make sure the preparation does not splash the edges of the pan. This process can take 30 minutes or more, depending on heat level and saucepan used.
3) Your brigadeiro preparation will be ready when you can draw a line with your spoon, scraping the bottom at the center of the preparation, and that the preparation does not pour back quickly to fill the gap.
4) Pour this dough over a large plate and spread: take this plate to the refrigerator and refrigerate until chilled enough to handle.
5) When the dough is chilled, form your brigadeiro balls and roll them in the chocolate sprinkles.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate.